Celebrating our 50th year in 2020!
The Frome and District Civic Society work to create a better town for everyone.
We aim to:
- Stimulate people’s interest in the town, to raise awareness of its special character and identity, and to promote civic pride.
- Provide a forum for discussing the future of the town, so that your views are heard.
- Safeguard buildings and areas of historic interest.
- Campaign for high quality design and materials in new developments.
- Fight for better traffic and parking policies and safer roads, for the benefit of all.
Do you care about Frome & want to know more about plans for the future of Frome ? Do you want to make Frome a better place for everyone ? Then join Frome and District Civic Society. We are affiliated to the Frome Society for Local Study. Membership of one society, automatically ensures membership of both.
What is the Society doing now ?
Currently the Frome and District Civic Society is actively involved in:
* Providing articles for ‘Contact’ magazine – see them here.
* 3-weekly meetings of our planning group to assess all local planning applications – for more details on this group see this page.
* Analysing the Selwood Garden Village proposals – see research here. Some ideas on alternative sites are here.
* Assessing the current applications at Keyford, here are our comments on the DW Homes application.
* Reviewing the Boxworks application and suggesting alternative ideas.
* Fighting for a balanced and high quality development at Saxonvale/Garsdale, including a riverside park.
* Participating in the Saxonvale consultation by Nash Partners & MDC. See our responses here.
* Working to enlarge the conservation areas to include more historic buildings.
* Providing regular advice on planning applications to Frome Town Council and Mendip District Council.
* Arranging town talks and walks with Frome Society.
What are the Society’s achievements?
During the past fifty years, Frome and District Civic Society has:
* Campaigned successfully to save and restore the Trinity housing area
* Fought for the preservation of important buildings, including Rook Lane Chapel.
* Pressed for the building of the bypass.
* Undertaken an environmental audit of the town with the Civic Trust Regeneration Unit.
* and much much more…..
If you want to get in touch with the Civic Society email firstname.lastname@example.org to send a message to the Civic Society Chair